Monday 24 June 2019

Are you kidding me?

Author: Anirban Das

Ranging from Corporate world to train rides, to talking animals, "Are you kidding me" is an excellent medley of humorous short stories by author Anirban Das.

I started to read the chapters randomly in the order of the choice of the titles which appealed to me the most. So, the first two stories which I read were a man creating a nuisance by snoring in a train and an experience of a first time passenger in the flight. I was laughing out loud in these stories.

But as I started reading the other stories, I found myself reading satire, mocking our reactions to certain situations which most of us encounter in our lives at one point of time or another. A few experiences I have been through myself, be it my own high expectations of what should have been vs what it actually is or falling prey to an enticing advertisement which promises you many things but nothing comes free under the cover. I could relate to the different characters in different stories, be it a student or an employee.

The writing is smooth and witty, and you just glide through the pages effortlessly and move from one story to another. The author deftly switches his style from the formal narration to the colloquial conversations very well. The transition is very smooth.

The Gubbara Yadav's adventure deserves a special mention, it is a brilliant piece of imagination.

If there is one feedback I had for the author, it was that the corporate humor is not understood by everyone. The audience is limited in that sector. So when one can widely relate to and appreciate the other stories, one tends to struggle a little bit to understand the nuances and nitty-gritty of the management world. So if those can be separated out in the future books, it would be an added advantage. Otherwise, it is a splendid piece of work. Hats off to you Anirban Das. Keep writing.

P.S - I am assuming that most of the stories have stemmed out from the author's real-life experiences and if this is correct, I do have a question to ask Anirban Das- Did you actually meet Jennifer Lawrence?  :)





















Recommended : 👍👍👍👍

No comments:

Post a Comment